Let’s talk about pregnancy safe exercises! 🤸♀️
Did you know that exercising during pregnancy provides you with a TON of benefits?
- Shorter labor and delivery (a 2018 study showed a link between regular aerobic exercise and shorter duration of the first and second phase of labor!)
- Higher chance of unmedicated birth (the same study found a link between regular exercise and fewer instances of epidural use)
- Keeps mood swings at bay
- Boosts energy
- Can help you achieve a healthy weight gain for your body
- Minimizes pregnancy discomforts
- Easier postpartum recovery
In fact, it’s so important and beneficial, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends getting about 30 minutes of activity a day!
Here are a few GREAT exercises to do during your pregnancy:
- Brisk Walking
- Ball exercises (an exercise ball can be great to use during labor too!)
- Squats/Pliés (also great for getting baby engaged for labor!)
- Biking on a stationary bike (regular biking isn’t recommended because you are more likely to fall)
- Low impact aerobics
- Jogging (ok if you were running before pregnancy)
Can I definitely workout while pregnant? Most of the time YES! 👇
Generally, if you were physically active before your pregnancy, you should be able to continue your activity in moderation as long as it’s a no-contact activity.
But it’s ALWAYS a good idea to check with your provider first.
Also! Don’t necessarily feel like you HAVE to exercise at your former level; instead, do what’s most comfortable for you now.
And if you WEREN’T physically active before your pregnancy, now is a great time to start! Start slow and work up your endurance 🙂
What’s your favourite way to workout during pregnancy?
Let us know in our comments below