During pregnancy is probably the best time to start thinking about what you need to prepare for your breastfeeding journey.🤔🤗
The following are some great tips on how to prepare for breastfeeding while you are pregnant.
1. Don’t use any artificial nipples, pacifiers, formula or bottles etc. while in the hospital unless medically indicated and approved by you and your partner.🚫
2. Try to avoid IV pain meds and excessive IV fluids during labour. Increased interventions in birth can affect your breastfeeding success.🚫
3. Get educated about breastfeeding! There are some awesome courses online! You can take it during your pregnancy and again after you deliver.
In addition to taking a class, seek as much support as possible, including a lactation consultant you can contact if you run into problems once you are home. Try to find a supportive pediatrician that knows your plan to breastfeed.
Another great way to get support is to go to a La Leche League meeting. They have groups all around the world and are awesome support to any breastfeeding gal! You can even go when you’re pregnant.🤰🏼
4. Breastfeed your baby as soon as possible after delivery! Try to limit visitors and protect the golden hour after birth. Do lots of skin-to-skin during this time as well.
5. Have your baby in your room and feed on demand! Don’t look at the clock in these early days.
6. Sleep as much as you can in the postpartum period and keep yourself hydrated. Basically, try to take care of yourself and get as much help as possible!
Are you prepared for breastfeeding? What are your goals?
Let us know in our comments below