Welcome To Our Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other
new moms and moms to be from around the world.

Forums Forums Group Forums Breaking Moms My son prefers my husband Reply To: My son prefers my husband

• ChippyCuppy

October 21, 2021 at 2:43 pm

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. Kids don’t understand how much they can hurt us. My son rejects me for the nanny, saying, “go away mama. Go to office.” I try not to take it personally, but it hurts. One time he told my husband to “go to the ocean.” ?! He spends more time with the nanny than either of us, on weekdays.

I think their affections shift, and at times they do prefer one parent, but maybe you could have a special activity that you guys could do together? My husband works long hours but makes time to read books to our son every night. Get your husband in on it to psych him up for special mama time. Or maybe papa can be “too busy” to play with him right when you happen to be free. I know it just sounds like more work for you to come up with something special to do, but maybe a team effort would help.

It’s tough being home all together, with unbalanced play/family time. The past few years especially. It can be so draining to manage our own emotions and those of our mercurial spawn. I’m sure he loves you and has no idea how much it hurts your feelings when he rejects you. Kids that age are just kind of jerks sometimes. You have my sympathy, and I hope things change for you both 💜