Welcome To Our Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other
new moms and moms to be from around the world.

Forums Forums Group Forums Breaking Moms What do you wish you know before having a child? Reply To: What do you wish you know before having a child?

• dls2317

October 22, 2021 at 2:23 am

How to ask for help from friends and accept it. My husband was a great partner even in the godawful newborn phase, but I needed a lot more help for the first few months especially. Cooking, cleaning, and rest was so so hard. A friend (basically my BIL) came to visit for 6 days. At first he asked how he could help, then he quickly just took charge when he saw my blank expression. He went shopping, stocked our fridge/freezer, cleaned, and let us sleep. I cried when he left.

On the positive side, I wish I’d known how delightful parenting can be. I genuinely thought I’d love my kid but probably dislike her. Couldn’t have been further from the truth. From the time she was probably 6 months old, I found that I actually really enjoyed her company. 7 years later, it just gets better and better. She’s kind, bright, loving, and hilarious.

I also vastly underestimated how my marriage would get stronger and how much more I love and am grateful for my husband. I expected to settle into a friendly but bland relationship, but.. nope.

I’m one lucky mom/wife.