Welcome To Our Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other
new moms and moms to be from around the world.

Forums Forums Group Forums Breaking Moms Middle school parents, how involved do you get in day to day school stuff? Reply To: Middle school parents, how involved do you get in day to day school stuff?

• harper_kentucky

October 21, 2021 at 11:34 pm

In my opinion — as a former HS teacher and now college professor—

Holy shit I wish there were more parents like you.

The number of college students (ADULTS) who are like “Why didn’t you remind me every day that the HW was due Friday? You are the reason I didn’t do it” is so fucking baffling.

The age to learn executive functioning skills is middle school. The age to learn how to manage your time, your assignments, your skills, how to ask for help, etc etc is middle school.

The number of high schoolers that can barely function in the world is shocking. The number of parents that check the grade book daily, fire of an email at 1 pm “WHY DID JONOTHAN GET AN 8/10 ON THIS ASSIGNMENT” before talking to their child is shocking and baffling.

You daughter is functioning as a person in the world. As long as she knows she can ask you for help if she is drowning in work or failing a course I would ignore the notifications.

Make sure you go to parent/teacher conferences to check in but you are doing her a great service by letting her handle her life.