Welcome To Our Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other
new moms and moms to be from around the world.

Forums Forums Group Forums Baby Bumps Not much milk today Reply To: Not much milk today

• bumpinnumber4

October 26, 2021 at 1:03 am

Just for clarification, you are EBF baby right now? If so, that would mean you are pumping at least 6 oz extra a day over what baby needs to sustain itself and grow. A lot of moms would consider this to be amazing!

I hate pumping, as in despite it completely and fantasized about running over my pump with my car towards the end of last baby’s time on breastmilk. I think with my last baby that I didn’t even break out the pump until 4-6 weeks postpartum. Even then, I didn’t pump more than twice a day on top of nursing baby until I went back to work. Once back at work, I tried to pump the same number of times a day as bottles that baby was taking at daycare. However, by the end I definitely was slacking, as I knew my freezer stash at that point would help fill any gaps.

Milk supply can definitely fluctuate day to day and being able to measure it by pumping added a lot of stress for me. Increasing my water intake always helped. I also found that my hormones around the time of my cycle (which returned way too soon for my liking) also cause a dip in pumping output. Also, even when I thought I had found the magic combination of settings on my pump, I would occasionally have to adjust them to assist with output and emptying completely. If you are concerned and have access to a lactation consultant, it is always nice to touch base with them.

Of course every baby and body is different, but it sounds like you are off to a good start!