Welcome To Our Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other
new moms and moms to be from around the world.

Forums Forums Group Forums Breaking Moms How do you maintain the never ending mess of having children? Reply To: How do you maintain the never ending mess of having children?

• two__sheds

October 22, 2021 at 1:22 pm

I have a weekly rotation and use Tody to track what needs doing. I’m definitely not on top of things, but at least it gives me direction and stops me from stalling out when I get overwhelmed by the work that needs doing. I pick 5 tasks every day, if I get more done that’s good.

Monday: bedrooms (includes washing bedding)

Tuesday: kitchen

Wednesday: bathrooms (and wash towels/cleaning cloths)

Thursday: living room/dining room

Friday: laundry

Saturday: catch up

Sunday: playroom, office and (soon, yay!) sewing room.

As for kid specific mess…

Toys don’t cross thresholds – they have a few stuffies and books they keep in their bedroom, they’ve got some small toys and books in the car and they’ve got their playroom. Nothing leaves its designated room because otherwise I’m constantly playing the “shit, where does this belong” or “goddammit where is Floppy this time he won’t go to sleep without her” game.

The kids (23m and 3.5y) are responsible for tidying up after themselves. They carry their own plates to the kitchen after a meal, they wipe up their own spills, they put away their toys every time we leave the playroom, they put their own dirty laundry in the basket. It’s taken a lot of work to get here, but it’s finally starting to pay off! I often need to do the finishing touches on things, but it’s nice to have them responsible for most of the mess they create. They have learned not to make unnecessarily huge messes for fun because then they’re stuck cleaning up that huge mess.