A c-section isn’t always an emergency, but it can quickly turn to one!
Here are a few indications of why you might need a c-section!
Some of these are things we know ahead of time and lead to a planned C-section, others can happen during a vaginal birth and will lead to an unplanned one!
- Placental Abruption – Your placenta detached from your uterine wall.
- Placenta Previa – Your placenta is blocking the opening to your cervix
- Suspected Fetal Acidosis – Baby’s heart rate is not reassuring
- Malpresentation – Baby is in a position (like transverse) that is not conducive to a safe labour
- Cephalopelvic Disproportion (CPD) – Your pelvis is too small for baby’s head to fit through
- Chorioamnionitis – This is an infection of your bag of water and it can affect fetal oxygenation or the health of mama. Not all cases of chorio requite a C-section!
- Eclampsia (seizures) or Severe Preeclampsia – This can also affect fetal oxygenation or the health of the mama
- Umbilical Cord Prolapse – When a baby’s umbilical cord prolapses between the head and the cervix
- Uterine Rupture – This is a rare but scary complication where a hole or tear forms in your uterus
- Failure to dilate (stalled labor) or descend (pushing for a long time) – another factor that can impact fetal oxygenation or health of mama
- Previous C-section(s), and mom does not desire VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) due to a magnitude of reasons
There are others, too! C-section mamas, tell me your story! 💕
Originally posted 2021-02-22 10:49:31.